Shawnigan Lake has, since the late 1800’s when Victoria-Nanaimo railway line opened, been a favored recreation area for the residents of Victoria. More recently high end waterfront homes have replaced most of the old rustic cottage and cabins which formerly lined the waterfront. Consequently it’s is a busy lake, popular with water skiers, wake boarders and personal watercraft. Still, especially in the off season, or on a week day, it’s a great place to paddle. There are several lovely parks my favorite of which is Memory Island at the South end of the lake.
Size: 553.1 ha | 1367 ac | 5.5 km²
Direction: Shawnigan lake can be access from Hwy #1 in by following:
– From Mill Bay turn onto the Shawnigan Lake – Mill Bay Rd
– From Cobble Hill/Valley View> turn onto Cobble Hill Rd which turns into Shawnigan Lake Rd Hill
– From the Malahat summit turn off on Shawnigan Lake Rd.
- Anglers Atlas
- Backroads Map Book VIBC11
- West Shawnigan Park
- Memory Island Provincial Park
- Recreation Road Boat Launch
- Shawnigan Wharf Park
Shawnigan Lake Map